Effective Date: October 28, 2019
At the Carbon Institute (the Institute), we want you to know how your personal information is collected, used, and disclosed. We follow ten best-practice principles regarding the protection of Personal Information, any information that can be used to identify or contact you as a specific individual.
Website visitors. People who use the Carbon Institute’s marketing website are using it to learn more about the Institute and our products and services. Personal information is not collected for casual visitors of the website.
Registered members. Individuals or organizations that have subscribed to the Institute, including registration for courses or permission to receive the newsletter, are using the service to further their education in the field of greenhouse gas management. Personal information is recorded and used solely by the Carbon Institute for the purpose of administering the service that was signed up for.
The Eleven Privacy Principles
1. Accountability. We recognize responsibility for all personal information under our control. We have designated a Privacy Officer responsible for the creation, implementation, and adherence to our privacy policies and procedures..
2. Identifying Purposes. The Institute will identify the purposes for which personal information is collected at, or before, the time the information is collected.
3. Consent. We must have your consent for the collection, use, or disclosure of your personal information. We consider that all users implicitly consent to have their personal information shared within the Institute. Unless explicitly agreed to, the information will not be used for other purposes. We recognize your right to control how your personal information is handled and will always obtain your consent in a clear and forthright manner.
4. Limiting Collection. The collection of personal information shall be limited to what is required for the purposes we have identified to you. We will not indiscriminately collect information that is not required.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention. We will only use or disclose your personal information with your consent (or as required by law) for the purposes for which it was collected. The Institute will only keep your information as long as is needed for its originally identified purposes. We will never sell, barter, trade, rent, or disclose your information.
6. Accuracy. We will keep your personal information accurate, complete, and up-to-date as necessary for the purposes for which it was collected. For users, we provide the opportunity to update or correct personal information by logging in to your member account.
7. Safeguards / Security of Information. We will protect your personal information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of information. The Institute takes reasonable measures to ensure that all personal information under its care is protected against loss, unauthorized access or disclosure. The Institute does not store credit card information.
8. Openness. We will ensure that our policies and procedures regarding your personal information are simple, clear, kept current, and are available upon request..
9. Individual Access and Correction. Upon request, we will verify the existence, use, and disclosure of your personal information. You are entitled to question the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
10. Children’s Privacy Protection. The Institute understands the importance of protecting children’s privacy, especially in an online environment. The site is not designed for or directed at children under 13 years of age, and the Institute will not intentionally collect or maintain personal information about anyone under the age of 13.
What Information is Typically Collected?
The Institute provides our users and members with knowledge and information about the field of ecosystem carbon management. Personal information collected is for the purposes of subscribing to services provided by the Institute (course registration or newsletter delivery). In some cases, the information collected includes personal information such as name, email address, and credit card information. Note: The Institute does not store credit card information.
How Your Information is Collected and Used
Information collected is always voluntary, and you always have a choice as to whether or not to provide the requested information.
The Institute aggregates the information it collects from users, member surveys, etc. and may use that aggregated information within the Institute. Because the information is aggregated, the data provided in these instances is anonymous and is not personally identifiable to you.
For clients requesting specialized services, it may be necessary to provide personal information to affiliates, suppliers, or marketing partners to provide those services. In this event, these organizations would only be provided the information necessary to perform the services requested by the client.
Contacting the Carbon Institute’s Privacy Officer
All inquiries or complaints regarding privacy should be directed to the privacy officer by email or mail at one of the addresses below. All inquiries will be responded to within thirty (30) days from the date at which the Institute privacy officer receives the inquiry.
Contact Email: email@example.com and reference Privacy Officer.